2012 saw a 10% increase in garden and shed thefts in the UK, compared to the previous year and garden shed theft had increased by 25% during the summer and spring alone.
Research by Halifax Home Insurance found that the top 10 areas for garden theft in the UK were:
- Stoke – on – Trent
- Doncaster, Barnsley and Rotherham
- Wakefield and Huddersfield
- Newcastle upon Tyne
42% of the reported thefts were of power tools, 39% were of hand tools and the rest of thefts were of items such as lawnmowers and Barbecue sets.
Summer will be here before we know it, so it’s important to start getting your garden prepared soon.
Easy ways to protect your garden
- Make sure sheds, garages and gates are locked at all times.
- Mark valuable garden items and furniture with your postcode and take photos for your records.
- Join your neighbourhood watch or set one up if there isn’t one in your area.
- Restrict access to your garden with high walls and fences.
- Install security lighting in your garden to deter thieves.
- Never leave gardening equipment out in your garden for an opportunistic thief.
If you are concerned about your current garden storage and think it’s time to upgrade your security, take a look at the Asgard metal garden shed range. These garden storage sheds offer fantastic security for your gardening equipment and furniture.
Designed with security in mind, they are fitted with tough locking systems and pick resistant locking mechanisms. Asgard metal garden sheds are available in a variety of sizes and look great in any garden. See the full metal garden shed range on the Asgard website.
Filed under: asgard, Garden Buildings, Garden equipment, Garden Safety, Garden security, Garden tools, Gardening, lawnmower security, Lawnmower storage | Tagged: Garden security, garden storage, garden theft, Gardening | Leave a Comment »