Equine crime is a real problem, especially in rural areas and every year hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of horses, ponies and equipment are stolen. These thieves specifically target stables and rural premises as they can be generally low on security and isolated.
Recent news stories have highlighted the scale of this problem. At the end of December 2012, £25,000 worth of horse tack was stolen from a Lincolnshire stable and early in January 2013 more than £50,000 pounds worth of tack were found in a property raid in Oxfordshire.
Det Sgt Steve Birchill from the Thames Valley Police said “[The thieves] are going round the areas and taking advantage of the fact that places are left unoccupied or unlocked”. Police are warning and urging people to take greater care in protecting their items.
How to keep your horses and tack secure:
- Freeze marking – This will permanently mark the horse on the saddle patch with a unique number and registration papers.
- Hoof marking – Brand your postcode onto the horses hooves, this will need redoing as the hoof grows.
- Micro-chip – Get a micro-chip implanted by a vet. The signal will help you locate your horse if it is stolen.
- Horse passport – make sure your horse passport.
Stable yard security
- Secure your stable yard with fences, hedges and gates
- Make sure gates are changed and fitted with anti-lift locks
- Put theft warning signs on display
- Fit security lighting, alarms and even CCTV
- Postcode stamp all items.
- Make sure your tack is always locked away when you aren’t around.
- Saddles and bridles should be locked to their racks.
- The doors to your tack room should be reinforced with steel and heavy duty locks.
If you are looking for a secure way to store your horse tack, the Asgard Tack Storage Box offers the best security for your tack.
“Very heavy unit, very strong. We have had it 1 month and already our horse has kicked it. Still standing though”
This is an incredibly strong metal storage unit, weighing in at 17.5 stone and made from strong weatherproof steel. It has been fitted with a tough 5 point locking system and pick resistant locking mechanism to help prevent tack theft. This tack storage box has also been approved by the Loss Prevention Certification Board to Level 1, which may help to reduce insurance premiums. Visit the Asgard website for more information.